Monday 14 March 2011

Bugs!


This is a picture of a cockroach in the kitchen of our beach cabin from this past weekend.  This cockroach was about as long as my hand (not exaggerating).  This is probably the most disgusting insect I have ever seen that was not at the zoo or museum.  It also flies very well.  Luckily this was the only one we saw all weekend.   We tried to kill it by smashing it with our sandals, but it was too big so we ended up smashing it with the gas tank for our stove.      

Some of the other interns here with me reported humongous cockroaches in their bedrooms (one reported an entire colony of them living on her ceiling; the hissing noise from them was so loud it kept her up at night) and when they told me the size of the roaches, I did not believe them.  I thought they were exaggerating, but after seeing this thing, it seems to me Kenya is the land of the giant roaches among other things...

No comments:

Post a Comment